Covers new and classic American Civil War books and media.
Tuesday, December 23, 2014
News---Gettysburg Railroad Station and Base of East Slope of BRT Transferred To GNMP
Federal Legislation Adds Gettysburg Lincoln Railroad Station and 45 Acres at Big Round Top to Gettysburg National Military Park, Gettysburg Foundation, December 22, 2014
Gettysburg Foundation can move forward with the plan to donate the
Gettysburg Lincoln Railroad Station and an undeveloped 45-acre parcel of
battlefield land to the National Park Service now that federal
legislation has added it to the Gettysburg National Military Park
Lincoln Railroad Station is an 1858 structure on the National Register
of Historic Places. It served as a hospital during the Battle of
Gettysburg and the wounded and the dead were transported from Gettysburg
through this station after the battle. Abraham Lincoln arrived at the
station when he visited to give the Gettysburg Address.
45-acre parcel at the base of Big Round Top is vacant land that abuts
the southeastern boundary of the park. Cavalry skirmishes occurred near
this site and it has critical wetlands and wildlife habitat related to
Plum Run. Wayne and Susan Hill donated the property to the Gettysburg
Foundation in April 2009.
Gettysburg Foundation and the park will work together to create a plan
and a timeline for transfer of the properties, and an operating plan for
the train station. An anticipated date for public access and
information center operations would be in the spring of 2015.
Professor, Waynesburg University, Director of Eberly Library, Adjunct instructor in U.S. history. Member: Ninth Pennsylvania Reserves, Pennsylvania Reserves Division; Chesapeake Volunteer Guard.
Areas of study: Civil War medicine, Abraham Lincoln, U.S. Army Signal Corps, antebellum politics.